Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Our Held Animal Breath by Kathryn Kirkpatrick

Her lip curled. I could see
that she hated me.
                            It was odd

how the hatred went on
for days and days and years and years.

I began to feel I could 
count on it. It was a steady

reliable hatred. Not like
baled hay
                which can rot.

Our Held Animal Breath, Poems by Kathryn Kirkpatrick

Title: Our Held Animal Breath: Poems
Author: Kathryn Kirkpatrick
ISBN: 9781936370917
Publisher: WordTech Communications/2012)

Pages: 95

All the forty-four poems in the volume are extremely readable. The poems are about everyday stuff like hiking, meditating and gardening. The emotions range from hurt, loss and confusion, understanding and rational optimism. Hope and determination intermingle with loss and fear. 

Her poems reflect politics as well as gives us a glimpse of Blue Ridge Mountains and other such places. Current events are narrated well. With deep understanding and feelings.

I could relate to the way she has portrayed women. I felt as if I know them, which I do...my mother, my neighbours, work colleagues and lot more. It was as if I was reading about the lives of the women I know. 

Let me share another poem. 

Driving Home

The girl in platform pink flip-flops
stumbles in my headlights on the broken
pavement.
Beside her, the boy in the gray
overcoat pulls her from the road
in January rain.
My foot on the brake,
she was never in danger, except perhaps—
her face now contorted by tears—
from the misapprehension
that here in this fractured public space
unmended asphalt
absence of sidewalks
anonymous, glaring cars
she is somehow to blame.

12 comments:

Kim@Time2Read said...

I like this one....'a reliable hatred'....I'd keep reading.
My teaser today is from The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

poetry can be very personal and certainly expresses deepest feelings like the first TT
enjoy!
HapPY TT

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

A reliable hatred is an emotion many can relate to...thanks for sharing.

Here's mine: MERCY SNOW

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I don't read much poetry, but these sound like poems that would be easy to relate to. Good Teaser.
My Teaser is from PATTY JANE'S HOUSE OF CURL.

Anonymous said...

I really love both these poems but the Hatred one 'spoke' to me more. A fantastic idea for this post. Here is my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/teaser-tuesday-may-6/

Silvia said...

What an original teaser, poetry can be really refreshing!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Yvonne said...

Great teaser!

laura thomas said...

I don't read a lot of poetry but sometimes I'll read a poem that vibrates inside me. Like these very much. Especially Hatred. Thanks for stopping by my blog today:)

fredamans said...

I like the latter piece.

Unknown said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Cyn @ Bookmunchies said...

Interesting poem. I don't usually read poems but thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Awesome teaser. Sounds interesting. Thanks for stopping by my site.