Friday, May 16, 2014

Once a Duchess by Elizabeth Boyce

Cut off. Alexander had finally done it. She’d wondered, with her pittance of an allowance coming later and later every quarter, whether this was where it was headed. She scanned the letter again, searching for any sign of filial affection. There was none. Rather, she detected anger behind his words. Her present situation could only refer to her being divorced. If he truly felt no obligation to support his divorced sister, why had it taken him nearly three years to say so?

Posted for The Friday 56, which is hosted by Freda's Voice

Once a Duchess by Elizabeth Boyce

Duchess Isabelle Fairfax is wrongfully accused of infidelity by her particularly awful mother-in-law and ceremoniously divorced then cut off without a penny by both her former husband, Duke of Monthwaite and by her own brother. But she is not one to give up and works as a cook in inn in a remote village. Marshal Lockwood, the Duke stops at that inn and finds her working there. Marshal is surprised to know that his ex-wife is a wonderful cook. He starts having serious doubts about her infidelity as he had expected her to be living comfortably with that other person. He writes to Isabelle’s brother and encourages him to take his sister back. Her brother decides that the solution to everyone’s problems is to get Isabelle married off as soon as possible. Isabelle has no other option and agrees.

Isabelle and Marshal have been manipulated by his mother. Marshal realizes it and makes it all right. He publicly apologises for divorcing her wrongfully. They discover they have still something going between them and try to right the wrongs done to them. 

Elizabeth Boyce has covered a difficult subject of divorce in the 19th century. The story may have some misgivings but the topic covered was very relevant of that period. 

11 comments:

Katherine P said...

The summary wouldn't normally grab me but this does sound interesting. I like the idea of past mistakes getting fixed. I'll have to give this a try!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

The Friday56 sentences make Isabelle sound like a helpless female! But I was glad to read further and learn that she took charge of her life by getting a job as a cook. From what I've read, life was very difficult for divorced women back in that era, and they had few options. I think I'd enjoy this book.
Here's the link to my Friday post: DARLIN' IRISH.

Fiza @ I'll Read Till I Drop said...

I agree with Katherine, not the genre I would usually read but this sounds really good.

fredamans said...

Not sure it would be for me either, but I am glad to see you somewhat enjoyed it.

Happy weekend!

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

Sounds like she's in a reak fix!

sherry fundin said...

Doesn't really sound like this is for me, but I am glad you are enjoying reading it. Thanks for stopping by fundinmental.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Gautami,

Could you imagine a brother feeling compelled to support his divorced sister these days?

On the other hand, have manipulative mother-in-laws, ever really changed?

Nice post, have a good weekend,

Yvonne

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

I've borrowed this one twice from my library and still haven't managed to get to me but I really want to read it. Great 56.

Thanks for stopping by my Friday 56
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Yvonne said...

Sounds like it could be a good read even if it's not my normal genre to read.

Sheri said...

Sounds interesting! Thanks for stopping by Shut Up & Read!

Harvee said...

Glad to hear there is a happy ending, especially in the 19th century!
Harvee
Book Dilettante