Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tuesday Intro: Dreaming of You by Jennifer McNare

Every Tuesday Diane from Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where participants share the first paragraph (or a few) of a book they are reading or thinking about reading soon.

England, 1840 

When he finished reading, the paper fell lightly from his fingers and settled onto his lap.  He sat immobile for several long minutes, his mind reeling in complete and absolute shock. This was insanity.  He picked up the discarded letter and read it once again, shaking his head in outrage and disbelief.  He had been abducted to impregnate a woman.  That was it.  No reason why, and no explanation as to why he in particular had been chosen, was given.  If he failed to cooperate, made any attempt to escape or tried to discover the identity of his captor or the woman, his sister, currently held at an undisclosed location would be killed.   

  Dreaming of You by Jennifer McNare

Melody Settrington is married to Charles Cavendish, the elderly Earl of Edgington. He is impotent and wants an heir at any cost and he can go to any length to achieve that. He chooses Gavin Montrose, son of the wealthy Duke of Rutherford, to be the father. Gavin is kidnapped and is forced to abide by Cavendish or his younger sister would be harmed. He has to perform in utter darkness without seeing the woman's face. And he won't have any contact with his own child. 

Melody is as reluctant as Gavin but she too has no choice, or her family will be destitute and her brother will die without the care needed for his special illness. As soon as Melody gets pregnant, Gavin is released. And then they meet after some years...

13 comments:

Juli Rahel said...

This sounds like it could either be good or a bit disappointing! The idea seems like it has some consent issues there which I'm not too fond of! Thanks for hosting and for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
My post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Unknown said...

That sound like a plot I would enjoy, and the opening is promising.
My post is here

JoAnn said...

I'm afraid this one isn't for me...
Hope you enjoy it.

Kim@Time2Read said...

This one has my attention. I'd have to read on, but I don't know if I'd finish it.
This week I am spotlighting Up At Butternut Lake by Mary McNear.

Kim@Time2Read said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a strange story line. I'm not sure if it would be for me, but hope you enjoy it.

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

That introduction really got my attention!

My Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/04/first-chapter-first-paragraph-58.html

grammajudyb said...

I'm wondering how it progresses, so I guess that means I would continue. Hope you like it and I'll await your review.

Literary Feline said...

It's an interesting twist to the usual tale of the woman being abducted and forced to be the wife of the man. I'd continue as I'm curious to know how the story plays out, and what happens when they meet later in life.

Lindsay said...

Lots of interest in that first paragraph! It does sound tempting though not my usual sort of read. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my blog too.

Nise' said...

I like historical fiction and would keep reading.

Yvonne said...

I'm not much of an historical reader, but this might be good.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Nope, not for me, but enjoy