Monday, April 28, 2014

Monday: Mailbox/What Am I Reading?

Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. It has finally found a permanent  home at Mailbox Monday with the following new administrators:

Leslie of Under My Apple Tree
Serena of Savvy Verse & Wit
Vicki of I'd Rather Be at the Beach

I received the following, thanks to the authors/publicists:

The Dead Don't Dance by John Enright



Rumored to hold more spirits than people, the remote tropical paradise To’aga frightens many Samoan locals—but not Detective Apelu Soifua. Reeling from the loss of his young daughter, Apelu retreats to the haunted island for a self-imposed exile. He spends his days drinking, trying to ignore the ghosts in his head, and receives few visitors other than a shamanistic recluse and a pair of dedicated marine biologists conducting research.

But after a crew of surveyors arrives, Apelu makes a disturbing discovery: foreign investors plan to build a resort hotel on the coast, a project sure to destroy the To’aga coral reef and shatter the island’s peaceful way of life. When tensions rise and someone—or something—commits a gruesome murder, Apelu must force himself out of retirement to solve the case. Can the heartbroken detective navigate both modern and mystical forces to find the killer and appease the angry spirits of To’aga, in this third book of the Jungle Beat Mystery series?

Heads I Win Tails You Lose by S H Villa


This is the first volume of Varigo, the fast-paced and humorous Spanish crime fiction series set in the Alpujarras.
Jesús the healer turns investigator when his cousin Juan's severed head is found on the mayoress's desk and the Guardia Civil prove themselves as useless as they look.
Juan is a well known healer, anti-Church campaigner (earning him the name Juan the Unbaptist) and a lover of women. So, where to look for his murderer? Jesús and friends find and follow clues leading both to the Church and the Guardia Civil themselves. But who was the woman involved? There has to be one.
A rare combination of excitement and enlightenment.
Sita's Curse by Sreemoyee Piu Kundu


Sita's Curse is a explosive sexual saga, describing the life, longing and sexual awakening of Meera Patel, a lower-middle class housewife living in a congested housing society in the suburbs of Mumbai and follows her metamorphosis from a small-town girl married off at 17 to a man she has never met to a woman who achieves freedom by giving in to desire. The book reaches its earth shattering climax (pun intended) on July 26, 2005—the day of the Mumbai floods that changed the history of the city and the lives of many of her people, forever.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of BooksWe discuss the books that we've read and what we're planning to read for the week. 

After the Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon April 26-27, 2014, I am totally zapped!! I read four of the following during Read-a-thon.

I finished reading the following:


70. Our Held Animal Breath by Kathryn Kirkpatrick (Poetry)
69. Dead Set by Will Carver (Crime Fiction)
68. The Virgin Concubine by Shyala Black(Erotica)
67. Silken Promises by Lisa Bingham (Historical Romance)
66. A Dangerous Affair by Caro Peacock (Victorian Mystery)
65. The Hellion and The Heartbreaker by Jennifer McNare (Historical Romance)


I am in the midst of reading:

The Invisible Man by H G Wells
ugly to start with by John Michael Cummings
The Elephant Tree by R D Ronald

I posted the following reviews on my blog:

12 comments:

Nise' said...

You had a great read-a-thon. Hope you got a nap after all that reading. Life got in the way of my participating. Have a great week.

Juli Rahel said...

I am recently getting more into Spanish fiction because it always seems to be so exciting, passionate and well written! Well done on your read-a-thon, I missed out on it this year, maybe next! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy all of your books!
My Monday post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Kathy Martin said...

What a great week. You read such a nice variety of books. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Cheryl said...

I'll have to add Heads I Win Tails You Lose to my wish list. It looks great.

Hope you have a wonderful week.

http://www.thebusymomsdaily.com/2014/04/mailbox-monday-april-27.html

Harvee said...

The Spanish crime series looks interesting! Also the spicy novel! Enjoy!

Elizabeth said...

ENJOY your books.

Head I Win Tails You Lose looks good.

Have a good week.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Mailbox Monday

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Great job on the Readathon. I only finished a couple of books and started two more, but that's good for me. The Dead Don't Dance has a catchy title, and it sounds good too!

Book of Secrets said...

Great work on the readathon! I like the title of HEADS I WIN TAILS YOU LOSE. Hmm.... :-)

Here’s my MAILBOX this week. Happy reading!

Leydy said...

Happy reading.

Check out what we are reading this week.

Leydy @OUaT & RCE

Vicki said...

Have a great week of reading!

Anonymous said...

Have a great reading week.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Hope you love your new books!