Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez



Dying is a way of life on the border.

And if her true identity ever became known, she'd be dead before the sun again rose over the Rio Grande. But here in the colonias on the outskirts of Laredo, she was just the Angelo nurse who made house calls. Not that the residences qualified as houses. They were just shanties constructed of scrap material--plywood, sheet metal, cardboard, even discarded garage door--but they provided shelter from the hot sun if not the dry wind that blew in from the Chihuahuan Desert. It was early September, but it was still summer on the border. It was always summer on the border. 

The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez

Bode Bonner, the Governor of Texas is bored with life. He wants excitement. He aspires to become the President of US. His wife wants something more than just being the Governor's wife. She leaves him and secretly becomes a nurse in the border helping a doctor who was born in the colonia but educated in Harvard. The same border that touches Mexico. A Mexican drug lord wants Bode killed because he thinks Bode is responsible for the death of his wife. He hires killers but Bode escapes each time. He kidnaps the Governor's wife......

The novel is heavily political in the initial chapters. It speaks of illegal Mexicans. And much more. It is a good thriller. Bode might be a womanizer but he is in love with his wife. So he has to go and rescue her. He goes all alone heavily loaded with ammunition. The good doctor offers to help. Then we meet another character who to is out there to protect Bode.

The novel is fast paced, has lot of wit and totally enjoyable in the last half. I couldn't put it down. 

10 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This intro doesn't work for me, but I hope you enjoy the book. Glad you joined us this week.

Beth F said...

Not quite sure this is for me. Hope it's good.

Kim@Time2Read said...

I'd probably keep reading. It sounds pretty good.
Today I'm spotlighting Steeped in Evil.
http://mytime2read.blogspot.com/2014/03/tuesday-memes-march-5.html

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I'd pass on this one. My Tuesday post:

http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-52.html

Unknown said...

Not sure if the intro would hook me in, but the synopsis does sound interesting. My husband often gets mistaken for a Mexican due to his dark looks and he always says we should visit Mexico one day.

Harvee said...

Based on your review, I'd continue reading.
Harvee
Book Dilettante

Nise' said...

Just reading the intro, it does not grab me, but reading your thoughts got me more interested.

fredamans said...

I'm not usually a fan of political thrillers, but I like the way this one is written. Great review.

grammajudyb said...

Glad you liked this book. I would give it a try.

kayerj said...

I think I'd give it a go. Enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on