Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hurrah's Nest by Arisa White

We alone together is me, one egg in the pigeon’s nest
between my rusting ten-speed and brick wall.
The wind blocked my body from her.

Night and day we were audience
to feathers tossed and shit about.
It’s hard to listen to courtship.

She tells me, 
With children you will never be lonely.

-from “Disposition for Shininess” from Hurrah's Nest by Arisa White

Hurrah's Nest: poems by Arisa White

This book of poem speaks of a family, their interactions, hardships and everything in between. There is identity crisis, scars of being a family. One might feel that there is no love between them but it is not so. Poems are built from moments, memories and just being there. Each poem is a story in itself yet we don't feel anything is disjointed. 

The family consists of a mother, six brothers and one sister. There is a sense of abandonment by the mother but that too is just a passing feeling. Closeness is the end result, no matter what experiences one might have gone through in ones's family.....

I can go on but poetry has to experienced by the reader, felt in his/her heart....

10 comments:

Natalie @ Book Lovers Life said...

Ive not read many books that are poems telling a story. Sounds very intriguing. Hope you enjoy.

Literary Feline said...

I love the way the poet uses words and the images created.

Anonymous said...

I love the story being told as a poem! Truly amazing and unlike anything I've read! Great Teaser, and thanks for stopping by my TT @ Addicted Readers! :)

Maya said...

It's an interesting teaser. Thanks for stopping by.

Njkinny said...

I have not read many books containing poems but this sounds very intriguing.. Will check it out now..Thanks for introducing it here.. :)

-Nikita @Njkinny's WOrld of Books

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea to choose poetry. I love this teaser!

fredamans said...

I love poetry!

Shelley Munro said...

I haven't read a lot of poetry, but the teaser interested me. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Pooch said...

The writing is intense--deeply felt poetry. Interesting book.
Thanks.

:)

The Bookworm said...

This does sound like a nice book of poetry.