Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hush Little Baby by Suzanne Redfearn

Hush Little Baby by Suzanne Redfearn

We look like the perfect family, and I'm happy to pretend. 

Father Kimball looks down at his parish. “Welcome my brothers and sisters in Christ, beloved children of God…” 

Beside me, Drew squirms. Gordon’s firm squeeze of his knee stops the squiggling. I take Drew’s hand in mine to keep him still. No one in our small clan has an iron bladder. I slide my eyes in a sidelong glance at Gordon. His jaw is set tight. He won't be happy if Drew gets up in the middle of the sermon. Of course, he’ll be even less happy if Drew wets himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After a very long time, I finished a novel at one go as I couldn't put it down. I read it in 4 hours straight finishing at 3 AM. It is a disturbing novel about domestic violence. Something which is as old as time itself. Domestic violence does not get reported much. People do not come out in the open. The victim feels it is always her fault. That she deserves the beatings and the insults. The children are the worst sufferers. 


Jillian Kane snaps out of it one day and finds herself locked out her home with her children out of bounds. Everyone, including her mom, thinks it is her fault as her husband can do no wrong. One day, she gets an opportunity to meet her children in the park. Taking them along, she runs for their life. With no money, no plan, she only has the determination to protect herself and her children. Along the way she finds some good people helping her. They do not know her but sense that she is in some kind of trouble. 

Finally Gordon catches up with her and takes away the kids. She is charged with kidnapping and cannot meet her children. Her lawyer friend, Connor advises her to fight back in the same dirty manner, as Gordon has done, to get custody of the children. By manipulation and sabotage. And she does. She can do anything to get back her kids. ANYTHING. Even kill.

I had mixed feelings about Jillian. Yes, she is a victim and loves her kids but there are some loose ends. At one point or the other, I did not like her. Gordon is a despicable character. He is manipulative. He hides his cruel facade with a nice demeanour. Yet for all his faults, he loves his children. That is the ONLY redeeming quality. But can a family survive in such an environment? 

I felt that the author was in a hurry to finish the novel. So the end chapter is pretty fast. It could have been elaborated a bit and could have hurried through the middle portion. 

But I highly recommend this novel. Read it for yourself, for your family and friends. AND reach out.....who knows, some one might be needing your help....

23 comments:

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Nice to visit your blog today and thanks for the interesting teaser at the top of the post!

Here's mine: http://danbrownportal.blogspot.com/2013/10/teaser-tuesday-with-jules-verne.html

Natalie @ Book Lovers Life said...

Great Teaser. I've never heard of this before. http://bookloverslife.blogspot.ie/2013/10/teaser-tuesday-9.html

Karen and Gerard said...

Great teaser and review - sold! I'm adding this to my TBR list!

Here's ours: http://danbrownportal.blogspot.com/2013/10/teaser-tuesday-with-jules-verne.html

Wordsmith Publicity said...

This would be a tough read for me. Looks like a good book though.
My TT

Anonymous said...

I agree - looks like a tough read, but it's also something I would read.

Here's mine: http://writenotereviews.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/teaser-tuesday-an-inventory-of-heaven-by-jane-feaver/

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like an important novel. Thanks for your review!

Unknown said...

Thank you for introducing me to a new book with your blurb/teaser. Here are Mine! http://andreareadsandreviews.blogspot.com/2013/10/tuesday-teasers-102213.html and http://reviewbooksandmore.com/2013/10/22/tuesday-teasers-102213/

Unknown said...

Looks like an interesting book. I enjoyed my visit here as well. My TT link is here: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/10/teaser-tuesdays_22.html

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This sounds like a book that could be difficult to read. But it sounds like a story that would keep me turning pages. Good Teaser.
My Teaser is from PEACE BY PIECE. The main character deals with anorexia and bulimia.

Anonymous said...

Intense teaser. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for stopping by my site.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This is a book on my wish list. I adore books that show the secrets and sometimes the violence behind closed doors.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Udita Banerjee said...

Sounds like a good book. Come to think of it, I've never actually read a book about domestic violence...
http://cupandchaucer.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/teaser-tuesday-october-22/

Nise' said...

Sounds emotionally draining, but a subject matter that needs to be discussed and exposed.

Literary Feline said...

That's quite an intense intro. This sounds like an interesting book, Gautami. In my work, I hear stories involving domestic violence just about every day. It's an ongoing (and growing) problem that doesn't get as much attention as it needs, especially considering the impact it has on the children.

kayerj said...

I think I'd get up and go out--fun intro. Enjoy your book. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to this book and its author. And thanks, also, for visiting my blog.

Yvonne said...

This sounds excellent!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a captivating read.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/10/teaser-tuesday_22.html

JoAnn said...

Sounds like this is an intense read! Thanks for sharing.

Ellie @ Ellie Reads All the Books said...

Sounds interesting and yet a tough book to read. Thanks for sharing!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Glad this was a an addictive read. I'd keep reading a bit more. Thanks for joining us this week.

Mystica said...

Mixed feelings when I read about this book. Domestic violence is upsetting and I don't think I want to read about it now. So much of it around all the time.

Jenny @ Book Sojourner said...

Great teaser. Sounds like an intense read.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!