Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday: Mailbox/What am I reading?/Musings

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at A Girl and Her BooksNovember Host is: Kathy @ BermudaOnion

I received Two books in my mailbox in the past three weeks, thanks to authors/publicists:

NUTCRACKER by E.T.A. HoffmannIllustrated by Maurice Sendak, and Translated by Ralph Manheim, reissued a few months following Sendak’s death and on the 50th anniversary of Where the Wild Things Are, is a lush and beautifully illustrated edition that serves as a wonderful tribute to his life at a time when his legions of fans worldwide are honoring his legacy and ballets are performing their own versions of this timeless classic. Called “a classic, new and complete” by the New York Times Book Review, Sendak’s NUTCRACKER (On Sale October 30, 2012) brings to life E.T.A. Hoffmann’s mysterious world with his extraordinary illustrations, and this stunning reissue will  be published just in time for the holidays.

Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy

A shocking expose of the corruption and match-fixing running rife through the world of cricket.

Over several years Ed Hawkins made friends with India's bookmakers and the International Cricket Council anti-corruption officers who are trying to shut them down. He travelled to the country as he endeavoured to understand how the world's largest unregulated gambling market operates. Bookies, fixers and gamblers showed him the tricks of their trade. He lived and worked with a bookmaker for a spell and will now never watch a match in the same way again. With a story featuring politicians, governing bodies, illegal bookmakers and players - and corruption, intimidation, even murder - this is surely the most important cricket book ever written.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey


I finished reading:


a few easy books. 


As I wrote here before, I have Central serous retinopathy in my left eye....which is fluid leakage under the retina....that means I have blurred vision for now....and I am taking it slow.....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Do you read the ending before you start a book? Do you ever skip ahead to read the ending?

As I read Crime Fiction most of the times, I cannot even dare to think of reading the ending. For other books I never ever read the end. I may skip a bit now and then....

13 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Nutcracker looks lovely! Enjoy your reads....and here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

Elizabeth said...

ENJOY!!!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Mailbox Monday

Dorothee said...

so sorry to hear about your eye problems. but great books - ETA Hoffmann, i read him in school as part of the Romantics back then.

Have a lovely reading week :)
http://virtual-notes.blogspot.de/search/label/bookshelf

Kaye said...

Those are certainly two different books. Have a wonderful week and happy reading.

Anonymous said...

Hope your eye gets better soon.

Gigi Ann said...

There is one reason why I go to the ending, once in awhile. However, I always check to see how many pages are in the book, but I never read the ending in doing so.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I hope you enjoy both books. The first is a favorite in our house!

JC Jones said...

Good answer to the musing. Here is my post:
MM

dollycas aka Lori said...

Hope your eye heals quickly. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I hope your eye gets better soon, The Nutcracker caught my eye.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/mailbox-monday_6416.html

bermudaonion said...

Enjoy your new books! The illustrations in Nutcracker are gorgeous!!

Nise' said...

I've been wondering how your eye condition has been. Sorry it is slow going, but glad you are able to read.

I never skip to read the ending.

Anonymous said...

I received Nutcracker too. Isn't it pretty?