Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sweat by Mark Gilleo

"It's a note."

Across his chest. in dark indelible ink, were the words "I am innocent. Let me explain"

~~~~Page 214

Title: Sweat
Author: Mark Gilleo
ISBN: 9781611880519
Publisher: The Story Plant/2012
Pages: 362


When Jake Patrick took a summer internship at his estranged father’s corporation, he anticipated some much-needed extra cash and a couple of free meals from his guilty dad. He would never have guessed that he'd find himself in the center of an international scandal involving a U.S. senator, conspiracy, backroom politics, and murder. Or that his own life would hang in the balance. Or that he’d find help – and much more than that – from a collection of memorable characters operating on all sides of the law. Jake’s summer has turned into the most eventful one of his life. Now he just needs to survive it.

From the sweatshops of Saipan to the most powerful offices in Washington, SWEAT rockets through a story of crime and consequences with lightning pacing, a twisting plot, an unforgettable cast of characters, and wry humor. It is another nonstop thriller from one of the most exciting new voices in suspense fiction.

My Views: 

I would like to review this a little differently. One can see from the above blurb that it is a political thriller. I loved the complex characters. They are very believable and the setting is very good. The language is a pleasure to read and the descriptions are too good. One thing I have to say that, the novel has taken the present into account and that kind of relates us to the story. I enjoyed the novel very much.

Jake is a very likeable character and he knows what he is doing. The bonding between family is a strong point and the crooked politicians make the book so plausible. The setting from Saipan to Washington D.C. is totally seamless and one does not want to leave it midway at all.....

I really liked the following passage:

Genetics was a strange thing, he thought. And while he looked like his father, he felt nothing. Jake didn't hold a grudge because his father was an alcoholic, workaholic, or womanizer. He may have been all of the above, but Jake didn't know. And it is hard to be upset about something you don't know or can't remember. He wasn't angry, hurt or disappointed-he wasn't close enough to the man in front of him to have any of those emotions. Everything happens for a reason and Jake tried to leave the past in the past, a skill he learned from his mother.
~~~Page 26 

10 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

I enjoyed it :)

CMash said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It was definitely a thriller, in my opinion. I am anxiously awaiting his next book. Good job.

Anonymous said...

I love political thrillers but I read so few good ones. I'll have to give this one a try.

Nise' said...

Attention grabbing teaser.

Elizabeth said...

Very good teaser. I love thrillers and mystery.

My teaser is below. I do believe you have stopped by already, though.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/10/teaser-tuesdays-102.html

JC Jones said...

Great teaser. This is a new book and author for me. It looks really great.

mamabunny13 said...

Sounds like an interesting read.
I found you at Cym's

http://conniescornershelf.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog - I like the comments here on generics :)

Yvonne said...

I'm reading this now and it's so good.

Heather said...

Sounds like a good action/thriller. Thanks for visiting me this week!