Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Voices of the Dead by Peter Leonard


He put the pen on the desktop, picked up the coffee mug and took a sip.
"A foreign diplomat kills an American citizen and there's nothing you can do about it. Is that what you're telling me?"
~~~Page 21

Title: Voices of the Dead
Author: Peter Leonard
ISBN: 9781611880328
Publisher: The Story Plant/2012
Pages: 296

Set in 1971, Voices of the Dead takes us back to the horrors of the Holocaust. Harry is scrap dealer. His daughter is killed in an accident caused by a drunken German Diplomat. The diplomat has immunity and can't be prosecuted. Harry wants justice at any cost and follows the diplomat to Munich. Harry is Jew who has survived a Dachau, a concentration camp. When he revisits Munich, he relives the horror and finds links of it with the German Diplomat. There are random murders of Jews and somehow all these are linked. Harry slowly unravels all that but he cannot prove anything. How justice is meted out is the highlight of the novel. The writing is good, and Leonard can do dialogue excellently.

It might appear to be a thriller but has so much pathos about Holocaust. It cuts deep into the reader's mind and heart. The pace is such that, one does not wish to put it down at any point. It is a dark book, which might not gel with everyone. But I think all of us should read everything ever written on/about the holocaust. We owe it to those who died because of it, and survived despite it. 

Voices of the Dead made sure that I read more novels by Peter Leonard. And that of his father, Elmore Leonard.

Posted for Partners In Crime Tours

21 comments:

Monaliz said...

Sounds like a great and intensive read, thanks for sharing! :)

Here's my this weeks TT!

Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

Toni said...

It sounds really intense. I agree, I believe holocaust reading is essential. If people had the heart to survive it, we should have the heart to understand. I will add this one to my list. Great review.

Yvonne said...

This sounds like a really intriguing read.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Gautami,

Both father and son are new to me authors, however this book sounds fantastic and just my kind of suspense read.

I checked out Peter and found that this is the latest of four books he has now written, so I have spet a lovely few minutes checking them all out and ... you guessed it ... adding them all to my reading list.

You are definitely not helping my TBR pile to go down any, but great thanks for the recommendation!

Yvonne

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

Wow sounds more like major action should be taken not nothing. Great teaser.

CMash said...

Great review. Thank you. And for your followers interested in his books, he has a new one that will be out on May 15th, "All He Saw Was The Girl". I read the ARC and it is another great book.

Nise' said...

This does sound intense! It is a subject that is not always easy to read about, but important!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! This book sounds really interesting and intense! I like how there is also a historical aspect to it!

Laya said...

Great teaser ^_^ Elmore Leonard was a great writer, but I didn't know he had a son. Thanks for the info, and for dropping by my blog!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thanks for posting an excellent teaser, synopsis, and review. This book sounds like a must-read.
Thanks, too, for commenting on my blog post. I sincerely appreciate it.

Unknown said...

Sounds really interesting :)

Alice Audrey said...

Sounds like a great read.

Magic27 said...

As one of the things I'm currently translating is about the Holocaust, this sounds really good! Once I've got my out from under the tidal wave of words to translate, I'll check this out for sure!
Thank you!

stacybuckeye said...

I had no idea that Elmore's son was also an author!

Unknown said...

Great teaser! Thanks also for visiting Read@UTS :)

Eustacia Tan said...

Sounds tense. Thanks for visiting my blog~

^_^

neer said...

The book doesn't seem one for me though the premise seems interesting.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Looking forward to the next teaser from you.

Tracy Beth said...

Quite intriguing! :) Great teaser!

The More the Merrier said...

Sounds like a heartbreaking read but how can it not be when it deals with such an intense subject.

Fireflywishes said...

I've been seeing this book around a lot and it sounded intriguing but wasn't quite sure. It sounds even more interesting now and I also agree that reading things about the Holocaust is the least we owe the victims. I'm definitely going to be adding this one to the wish list now. :)

Have a great week!
April @ My Shelf Confessions

Louisa @ Words I Write Crazy said...

Oh, sounds like a heartbreaking book! But great one! And that teaser, excellent! Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!