Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Top Ten Biggest Jerks In Literature


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week, we get a theme to list our top tens. 


This week's Top Ten is: Top Ten Biggest Jerks In Literature

Here I can only think of the following, in no particular order:

1) Sher Khan from The Jungle Book stories by Rudyard Kipling
2) Long John Silver from Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
3) Milo Minderbinder from Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
4) Fred from The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
5) Bill Sikes from Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
6) Alec d'Urberville from Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
7) Mr Hyde from Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
8) Iago from Othello by William Shakespeare
9) O'Brien from Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
10) Ellsworth Toohey from The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

14 comments:

Karen Harrington said...

What a fun top 10 list. I'll have to read the others, but I like your choices. Othello immediately came to my mind, too!

Anonymous said...

Alec d'Urberville is a great choice!

Birdie said...

Great list! I didn't even think of Shere Khan, but I totally agree.

Priya said...

I love how you added Sher Khan to the list :) Scar from Lion King almost made my list!
O'Brien and Ellsworth Toohey - totally agree with you there!
Nice list!
Here's mine: http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-ten-tuesday-is-original.html

Ann Summerville said...

Good list.
Ann

LBC said...

I definitely don't like Fred or Sykes, but I think that Aunt Lydia is worse than Fred.

Read my list here.

Anonymous said...

Haha, good list! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Megan B. said...

Definitely Fred!!

Bibliophile said...

I agree with all of them - excellent choices.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Excellent list of bad guys. These are the ones we always remember. Thank you!

jen7waters said...

Alec...grrr he makes me so mad! He's such a jerk that I couldn't even put him in my top, or he would outshine everyone else, but I did put Angel in it - poor Tess, 2 jerky men in her life :(

lisa :) said...

Great choices from really great books!

Jenny said...

Alec is a great choice! I forgot about him! He is the BIGGEST of jerks; the jerk king!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh, love your list! I might actually have to go make my own list...