Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Salon: Miss Hildreth Wore Brown: Anecdotes of a Southern Belle by Olivia deBelle Byrd


A few days later, as I was leaving for the outer mall, my husband asked me to pick him up some slacks. "What color?" I asked.
"Blue and brown ought to do it," he answered.
"Marine blue, navy blue, dark blue, chocolate brown, mocha brown, latte brown?" I queried.
Through clenched teeth he replied, "I just want blue and brown." Men, why do they always have to complicate things?
~ Page 106


Title: Miss Hildreth Wore Brown-Anecdotes of a Southern Belle
Author: Olivia deBelle Byrd
ISBN: 9781600377488
Publisher Morgan James/2010
Pages: 157

This book defies description! With hilarious reflections, it is shows us the life and attitude of  Southern women. They are in no way fazed by anything and take it in their stride. And the scandals they come across are explained in scandalous ways by those belles! 

The characters jump out the pages, and stay with us. I chuckled through this book. Pausing and savouring certain quirks. I had posted about that coffee episode some days back. There are more with the author trying her best to get her children married, and one where she buys clothes for her daughter. The thong episode is hilarious and reading this book, I almost fell from my chair, many a times.

A light, breezy read, and in no way the characters are larger than life. They are real people and it seems we have met a few like them in our lives. Anyone who wants a good chuckle, ought to read this book.

We're getting dressed for Christmas party, and I looked down at my husband's feet. "You have on a blue sock and a brown sock," I pointed out.
"I do not," he said
"Yes, you do. I'm looking at your feet." I insisted.
Looking down he smugly replied, "I have on a marine blue sock and a mocha brown sock."
~Page 107

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. It sounds hilarious.

Brittanie said...

I just added this book to my PBS wishlist. It sounds really funny and I live in the South. :)

Jenny Q said...

I've seen this book a lot in the past week. Glad you liked it! Southern women are always fun to read about! Thanks for visiting my Mailbox! Happy reading!

Yvonne said...

This sounds really good. Great review.

Pam said...

I'm loving all of the reviews for this book!

Aarti said...

This book sounds so fun! I've never heard of it before- thanks for bringing it to my attention.