Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Salon: Poetry Reading Challenge ending on May 16, 2010

Hosted by Lu

You can pick any book of poetry, but it has to be contemporary poetry! Published in the 20th or 21st century. For the next year, pledge to read:

The Shallow End – 2-5 books of poetry – Your choice, poetry or poetics, just enough to cool off with your healthy dose of verse.

In the middle – 6-10 books of poetry – A little bit more ambitious, but not too much that it’ll be over your head.

Dive in to the Deep End! – 11-15 books of poetry – That’s right, jump in there, get all the way in. You know the only way to test the water is dive in.

As I write poetry, I read lots of it too. So I am diving right in into the Deep End.

Here is what I have on my platter right now:

1) Selected Poems by Robert Lowell (
1917-1977)
2) Renascence and Other Poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892–1950)
3) Thirst: poems By Mary Oliver
4) Becoming The Villainess by Jeannine Hall Gaily
5) At the Threshold of Alchemy by John Amen
6 Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man by Harry E. Gilleland, Jr.
7) Slamming Open The Door by Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno

And I have read the following poetry books in 2009:

A Climb Through Altered Landscapes by Ian Parks
Mainline to the heart and other poems by Clive Matson
Magdalene and the Mermaids by Elizabeth Kate Switaj
A House of Bottles by Robin Merrill
Selected Poems of Carl Sandburg
Judah's Lion by Anne Caston

7 comments:

Harvee said...

I am very impressed with the amount of poetry books you've read! I like to read poetry when I'm in a special mood! Hope you visit my Sunday Salon

bermudaonion said...

Good luck with the challenge!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I love poetry, too. I just picked up one on the Times' Best Books of the Decade list: Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times. I finished chapter 1 this morning. Thoughtful.

Amy said...

Ooh, great challenge! I'll have to join. I've got the Becoming the Villainess collection too, only read a couple, but really liked them so far.

Yvonne said...

Good luck with this challenge! Sounds like fun.

Erotic Horizon said...

Cool poetry list to get through.

Thanks for the link on this post...

Have a great reading week..

E.H>

Serena said...

Becoming The Villainess by Jeannine Hall Gaily and At the Threshold of Alchemy by John Amen are great books.

I've read other Mary Oliver and enjoyed it, so I think you're in for a treat.