Saturday, August 8, 2009

TSS/Weekly Geeks : Mystery Reading

This weeks' WG is very apt, considering on Aug 8 and 9, The Second Mystery Read-A-thon is going on.

"Do you love a little suspense in your life? Have you ever read a book that keeps you twisting and turning until the last page? Tell us about it (but not too much , we want to be left hanging ourselves). Or maybe there is a series of mysteries that you adore. Why do you keep reading about the same detectives?"

I think when we start reading, most of us read mysteries at one time or the other. I liked all the mysteries written by Enid Blyton. I think I read those more than once. Somewhere down the line I got hooked to Agatha Christie. Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple are very different kind of detectives but both have their fan followings. And of course, Sherlock Holmes became bigger than his creator, Arthur Conan Doyle. Then I liked those Erly Stanley Gardeners with Perry Mason and Paul Drake. I liked the mysteries and the court scenes in those novels.

Why do I read mysteries? I think I like the fast pace and the nail biting finish. Mysteries can keep us totally engrossed and when we have a powerful detective, those become even better. Mystery readers can read series as well as stand alones. Maybe the same detective gives as that comfort level but different ones keep us on our toes.

I read varied genres but I still read a lot of mysteries, thrillers or noir fiction. Those novels totally take us in and keep us hanging. And we love that feeling, don't we?

How about you?

7 comments:

Wendy said...

LOL, I have a strong feeling you are going to win a book this weekend :)

Literary Feline said...

One of the topics I go into today on my TSS post is similar to this! It hasn't posted yet because it's still Saturday where I live, but it will be up in another couple of hours or so. :-)

I really enjoy reading mysteries. Always have, and for a variety of reasons. They are always entertaining, that's for sure.

I hope you have a great week, Gautami!

Rikki said...

I also like Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. Perry Mason is great if you like the courtroom detective style. Mysteries are great!

Kristen said...

I like what you wrote here.

serendipity_viv said...

I started with the Enid Blyton mysteries and finished there. They are not really a genre I have ever got into. I know I am probably missing out here.

Kerrie said...

Gautami, I read crime fiction for many of the same reasons you do. There is such a variety available too

Icedream said...

I loved your post, I agree with your reasons why we read crime fiction, you are just so much more eloquent at expressing it than I would be.