Monday, August 18, 2008

Musing about choosing books





How do you choose the books you read? Do you like the cover art on a book? Do you rely on reviews? Do you let friends and/or family recommend books to you? How about books you find on other people’s blogs? Do you read the blurb/description?

Prior to blogging, I mostly checked out newspapers and magazines for book recommendations. Browsing in the bookstore too helped in some ways. Covers are not so important for me. I also avoid books which are much hyped. Becos those disappoint me. My family mostly reads technical books which is a big no-no for me.

After I started blogging, choosing books has become easier. Most book bloggers give honest reviews as they don't have financial constraints. It is on us to decide if we like a particular genre are not and get those books accordingly. However, this has helped me read books I would have missed out otherwise. Book blurbs do help but not much. Some of the times, the author's name does the trick.

Sometimes a book takes just a bit longer for me to be engrossed in it. The Blind Assassin took me 250 pages before I truly appreciated it. I usually prefer books between 200-400 pages. Less or more puts me off, although I do read those too. I can pick up any kind of poetry book and read it page to page.

Having said that, reading is deeply personal and also it depends on our particular mood. Many a times, I can't go through the very same genres I have loved.

0 comments: