Thursday, August 28, 2008

Booking through stories



If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No … it’s because you want to know what happens next?

Or, um, is it just me?


Many a times I am driven by a good story. Characters are important, plots are important but without a storyline, it does not hold much interest. I like to be totally engrossed and wish to know what happens next! I like short stories which end soon taking all those process. For me a novel with a beginning, a middle and ending works very well. But whodunnits might not have great stories, they still manage to hold our interests. One just needs to know what is gonna happen next and that keeps us glued to the book. I too like books with stories within the story. A case in point is The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood which has three storylines going, all at the same time. Initially it starts slow but halfway through you don't want to put the book down.

Of the classic writers, one can always find good stories in Charles Dicken's writings. His charaterization is good too!

However, I read varied genres. I can read anything. As long as it has strong characters and a great plot or simply a stream of consciousness novel. I also read a lot of travelogues and memoirs. Not for the stories!

0 comments: