Thursday, July 10, 2008

Booking through Doomsday

What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

Whether it’s a local book shop, your town library, or an internet shop … what would you do if, suddenly, they were out of business? Devastatingly, and with no warning? Where would you go for books instead? What would you do? If it was a local business you would try to help out the owners? Would you just calmly start buying from some other store? Visit the library in the next town instead? Would it be devastating? Or just a blip in your reading habit?

I visit many bookstores in Delhi. If one or two closed down, it won't affect me much. And I also hunt for books at second hand bookstores. Many a times, I ask my friends to get me books which are not available in India. For a die-hard reader, there are ways and means to get books. Recently I have contacted writers to send me ARCs. That helps. And also authors contact me to send their books.

Online buying s a good option although it costs the heaven to order from Amazon. We don't have Amazon India. Library is always a good option. I am going to continue to read by obtaining books by hook or crook.

Bookstores and libraries burning down is a big deal for me. I would mourn the loss of books.

0 comments: