Thursday, October 11, 2007

Booking through authors

  • Have you ever met one of your favorite authors? Gotten their autograph?
  • How about an author you felt only so-so about, but got their autograph anyway? Like, say, at a book-signing a friend dragged you to?
  • How about stumbling across a book signing or reading and being so captivated, you bought the book?
Actually no. I have not really met any author at any close quarters unless one considers Vikram Seth. He was in Delhi to promote one his books. One of my friends coerced me into attending it. So we listened to him talking about 'Two Lives', which is a memoir of his great uncle, Shanti and German-Jewish great aunt, Henny. Afterwards, he was on a book signing spree but I did not get his autograph or anything like that. I was not much keen to get anywhere near him in that very crowded place. My friend did manage to get one!

In a book fair, I did see Amartya Sen, the Nobel Prize winner in Economics in 1998 and bought one of his books, The Argumentative Indian, on a whim. I have not regrettted that ever! It is not an autographed copy either!

Maybe someday, I might get to see Gabriel García Márquez..:D

Who knows?

0 comments: