Sunday, September 9, 2007

Booking through Anything, any place



Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?

Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is easy to answer. I am definitely not a Goldilocks kind of reader, as it is put here. I can read at any given point of time. Music or no music. I can shut myself out of any loud noise by my reading. I can read while having my dinner. I carry my book to bed too. Many a times, I have avoided sleep to be able to read. Being single helps in that direction..:D

I prefer to carry a paperback. Hard bounds are heavy. I read while travelling, in any waiting room, trains, flights, cab etc. In my vacations too, I prefer to sit in a corner and read. I am not the average “have to see this” kind of tourist. Yes, I like museums. Only then I do make an effort of not reading.

I prefer my books to smell good, to be fairly new. I clean any second hand book with alcohol. (Although yellowing books do have a charm of their own. I have inherited some great classics from my maternal grandfather). I like to read books with normal print. Large prints put me off as I feel like a child then! There should be more than 200 pages. As I hate my books to finish fast!

The tag line is..I need to read. Where/how/why is irrelevant. I can read anything as long as it is not technical. Life without books.....why should I even contemplate that?

0 comments: